Zucchini Fritters with Slow Roasted Tomatoes
An easy weeknight dinner to prepare when your garden is overflowing with zucchini and tomatoes.
- 2 cups grape or cherry tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded zucchini, approximately 1 medium
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh herbs (basil, oregano, tarragon, thyme, parsley, and/or sage or whatever combination you prefer)
- Vegetable oi
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- Roasted Tomatoes: Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper or foil. In a bowl, combine tomatoes, garlic and oil; season to taste with salt and pepper. Place on baking sheet. Roast for about 25 to 30 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Zucchini Fritters: Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C). Place an ovenproof cooling rack on a large baking sheet and place in the oven.
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt and pepper in a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk together eggs and ¾ cup yogurt. Stir in grated zucchini and herbs. Pour over flour mixture and combine with a fork just until evenly moistened.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Pour in a thin layer of oil and swirl to coat pan. Drop a heaping tablespoon of batter for each fritter into pan, being careful not to crowd the pan. Cook about 3 minutes or until dry around the edges and bottoms are browned. Flip over and cook for about 2 – 3 minutes longer until browned and cooked through. Transfer to rack in the oven. Repeat with remaining batter, adding more oil and adjusting the heat as necessary between batches.
- In a small bowl, combine remaining ¼ cup yogurt, lime zest and lime juice; mix well to combine. Top hot fritters with roasted tomatoes and dollop with yogurt sauce. Serve warm.
Make Ahead: You can cook the fritters up to a day ahead, let them cool then wrap and refrigerate them. Reheat fritters on the rack set on the baking sheet in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 10 to 15 minutes just before serving with warm or room-temperature roasted tomatoes.
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.