Braised Winter Vegetable Coconut Curry
Coconut milk lends richness and exotic flavor to these creamy braised vegetables. Its slight sweetness echoes that of both the root vegetables and squash, while offsetting the spicy red curry paste, pungent Asian fish sauce, and bright lime and cilantro that season the broth.
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 -inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated (about 1 tbsp grated)
- 2 tsp red curry paste
- 1 tsp Thai fish sauce
- 1 sweet potato, about 1/2 lb, peeled and cut into 1/2 -inch cubes
- 1 celery root, about 1/2 lb, peeled and cut into 1/2 -inch chunks
- 3 cups unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 lb winter squash*, peeled and cut into 1/2 -inch chunks
- 1 lime
- Fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Hot cooked basmati rice or couscous
- In a deep saute pan, braiser or skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook about 3 minutes until tender and translucent. Add garlic and ginger and cook about 1 minute until fragrant but not browned. Add curry paste and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the fish sauce, sweet potato and celery root and continue to cook. Reduce heat to medium-low, pour in the coconut milk and cook, stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Add the squash and cook until the vegetables are just tender when pierced with a sharp knife but not falling apart, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely grate the zest from the lime and cut the remaining fruit into wedges. Gently stir the lime zest into the curry.
- Spoon rice or couscous into individual bowls. Spoon the curry mixture evenly between the bowls and top each with chopped cilantro and a lime wedge. Serve immediately.
* Use varieties like Butternut, acorn or delicata.
Makes 4 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.