Warm Quinoa with Beets & Swiss Chard
This gorgeous dish is wonderful for an everyday side and will add a splash of colour and flavour to a buffet. It comes from The Vegetarian's Complete Quinoa Cookbook (available at Relish Cooking Studio, $34.95) and edited by Professional Home Economist Joan Ttooulias. The recipes are all written by members of the Ontario Home Economics Association.
- 3 medium beets (about 340 g or 12 oz), scrubbed well and trimmed
- 240 mL (1 cup) quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 360 mL (1½ cups) vegetable broth
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, washed, stems removed and finely chopped
- 240 mL (1 cup) crumbled goat cheese
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 30 mL (2 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) red wine vinegar
- 15 mL (1 tbsp) Dijon or grainy mustard
- 60 mL (1/4 cup) toasted pine nuts for garnish (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 190 C (375 F). Wrap the beets loosely in foil. Roast for 40 to 45 minutes or until the beets are tender when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife.
- Once the beets are cooked, place the quinoa in a large saucepan, add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low and cook covered for 15 to 20 minutes. The quinoa is done when the grains are translucent and all the liquid has been absorbed. Fluff with a fork, remove from heat and let stand covered for 5 to 10 minutes.
- When the beets are cool enough to handle, peel and dice. Set aside.
- Dressing: In a large bowl, whisk together the oil, balsamic and red wine vinegars and the Dijon mustard.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, heat the oil. Add the garlic and Swiss chard and saute for 2 to 4 minutes, just until the Swiss chard wilts. Remove from heat and add to the large bowl with the dressing.
- Toss to coat. Add the cooked quinoa and beets, tossing mixture gently to coat all the ingredients.
- To serve: Sprinkle the crumbled goat cheese on top, garnish with pine nuts (optional) and serve immediately. Makes about 2 litres (about 8 cups).
One serving is about 1 cup (240 mL)
Nutrition per serving: 200 calories, 9 mg cholesterol, 3 g fibre, 4 g saturated fat, 20 g carbohydrates, 7 g protein, 11 g total fat, 255 mg sodium, 3 g sugars, excellent source of magnesium.
Makes 8 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.