Vegetarian Shepherd’s Pie Potato Skins
These shepherd’s pie potato skins are a veg head’s dream…they’re basically vegetables filled with other vegetables and topped with — more vegetables! They’re comforting, nutritious, hearty and super satisfying. Sláinte mhaith!
- 4 russet potatoes, baked whole and cooled
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Milk, dairy or non-dairy
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 portabello mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tsp chopped fresh sage (or 1-2 tsp dried)
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- ½ cup vegetable stock
- ½ cup cooked lentils
- Grated Irish Cheddar, optional
- Preheat oven to 400° Cut pre-baked potatoes in half and scoop out flesh, leaving a thin border of flesh intact. Place potatoes on a baking sheet and brush with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake in oven 5 to 7 minutes, then flip over and bake 5 to 7 minutes longer until skin is browned and crisp.
- Mash potato flesh with 3 tbsp olive oil or butter and a good splash of milk. Season with salt and pepper.
- Filling: In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and celery; cook 3 to 4 minutes. Add mushrooms and cook 5 to 6 minutes until softened and extra liquid has evaporated. Add garlic and cook 1 to 2 minutes longer. Stir in peas, soy sauce, balsamic and herbs and cook until liquid is absorbed.
- Sprinkle in flour; stir to combine, cooking for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in stock and cook until slightly thickened and nearly all the liquid is absorbed. Stir in lentils. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spoon filling into potato skins and top mashed potato and grated cheese, if using. Broil 6 inches from heat for 1 to 2 minutes or until top edges of mashed potatoes are browned. Sprinkle with chopped parsley; serve warm.
Makes 8 potato skins
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.