Vanilla-Cardamom Shortbread Cookies
- 1 lb butter, softened at room temperature
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla paste
- 3 cups all-purpose flour plus 1 cup more
- 1 ½ tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, blend butter, icing sugar and vanilla paste with a fork until smooth. In another bowl, combine flour, cardamom and salt.
- Add flour 1 cup at a time until well mixed. If dough still seems too soft, add ½ cup more until it comes together in a ball. Lightly flour your hands and counter and dump dough onto counter. Gently knead mixture about 2 minutes or until “cracks” form in dough. Shape into a ball.
- Divide ball into four even pieces. Press one ball into a round then gently roll with a rolling pin into a 9-inch circle about 1/4 inch thick. Cut into 6 to 8 wedges. Transfer onto baking sheet and poke each wedge in two places with fork. Repeat with other 3 balls
- Bake in oven for about 25 minutes or until lightly golden on the outside.
Makes 48 to 50 wedges.
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.