Turkey, Salsa and Black Bean Chili
This chili is perfect for these cold winter days here in Southern Ontario. Have fun adding other vegetables and even some cocoa powder for a rich flavour.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 jar (415 mL) medium or hot salsa
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn niblets, frozen or canned
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) whole plum tomatoes, diced
- Toppings: Light sour cream or yogurt, chopped cilantro, grated Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, sliced avocado, toasted pumpkin seeds
- In a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic, and cook 2 to 3 minutes until onion is translucent. Add celery and carrots and cook 3 to 4 minutes longer. Add turkey, breaking up with a wooden spoon as it browns in the pan, cooking until it is no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in chili power, oregano and cumin and cook 1 minute longer. Add salsa, black beans, corn and tomatoes. Cover and simmer over medium-low heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Serve into bowls and garnish with toppings such as sour cream, cilantro, cheese, avocado and pumpkin seeds.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.