Tropical Fruit Crumble
This bright fruit crumble is a delightful combination of crunchy and not too sweet tropical goodness. Serve with a dollop of whipped coconut cream or a scoop of coconut or vanilla ice cream.
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup cold butter, diced
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 lb fresh pears, peeled
- 1 medium mango
- 2 cups chopped fresh pineapple
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 2 tbsp amber rum, optional*
- 1/3 cup dark brown sugar
- Lightly butter a cast iron skillet, roasting/braising pan or Dutch oven (about 26 cm / 12 inches in diameter).
- In a food processor combine flour, coconut, butter, sugar and cinnamon. Process ingredients for a few seconds, down to a fine consistency. (This can also be done by hand in a large bowl, the mixture will just be a little grainier).
- Peel pears and chop into ½ -inch chunks. Peel the mango and cut into 1/2-inch (1 cm) thick slices; place in a bowl. Add pears and pineapple. Transfer all the fruits to the lightly buttered cast iron skillet. Stir well with the orange juice, rum and brown sugar.
- Sprinkle the crumble mixture evenly over the fruit, pressing down lightly. Bake in the center of a 350°F oven for 20-25 minutes until the crumble is deep golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Cool in the skillet for 5 minutes before serving alongside a generous scoop
of ice cream or topped with whipped cream.
Makes 8 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.