Thick-Crusted Garlic Beef Prime Rib
Slivers of garlic infuse the meat with rich, garlicky flavour in this recipe while slow-roasting delivers delicious restaurant-style roast beef. I used a 20 minutes per pound rule, so that even cooking a 15 lb roast, the results were outstanding. A meat thermometer is a must!
- 7 lb (3.15 kg) prime rib premium oven roast
- 8 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp Worcesterhire sauce
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp EACH herbes de Provence* or dried thyme and vegetable oil
- Shallot Gravy (recipe follows)
- Cut shallow slits all over roast; insert garlic slivers into slits. Rub all over with Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper. Combine parsley, mustard, herbes de Provence and oil in bowl. Set aside 2 tbsp (30 mL) of the mixture for Shallot Gravy, rubbing remainder all over roast.
- Place roast, bones down, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert oven-safe meat thermometer into centre of roast. Roast, uncovered, in 450°F (230°C) oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 275°F (140°C); roast until thermometer reads 135°F (57°C) for medium-rare to medium, about 2-3/4 to 3-1/4 hours.
- Remove from oven. Cover loosely with foil and let stand for 15 to 30 minutes before carving. Drain off all but 2 tbsp (30 mL) drippings from roasting pan and make Shallot Gravy.
- Shallot Gravy: Place roasting pan over medium heat; add 3 shallots (coarsely chopped) and reserved herb rub. Cook, stirring until shallots soften. Stir in 2 cups (500 mL) beef broth and 3 tbsp (45 mL) Worcestershire sauce; simmer, stirring up any browned bits from bottom of pan. Combine 1 to 2 tbsp (15 to 30 mL) cornstarch with equal amounts cold water, making smooth mixture. Gradually stir into broth; bring to boil, stirring until thickened, about 3 minutes. Strain.
- Cook’s Notes: To maximize tenderness, even in less than premium beef cuts, carve your roast into thin slices across the grain.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Canada Beef Inc. For more great recipes and cooking information check out their website at beefinfo.org.
Makes 8 to 10 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.