Summer Squash Carpaccio
When shaved thinly, vegetables you might not normally eat raw present new possibilities. Long straight-sided squashes like yellow summer squash and zucchini look like wide ribbons when shaved for this salad. Using a hand mandolin makes easy work of the ribbons.
- ¼ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 lb small zucchini, preferably a mix of green and yellow varieties, no more than 5 inches long
- 2½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1½ tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, minced to a paste
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 handfuls of arugula (about 3 ounces)
- Chunk of Pecorino Toscano, ricotta salata (salted ricotta), or other medium-aged pecorino cheese, for shaving
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Toast the almonds on a baking sheet until golden brown and fragrant, 10 to 15 minutes. Let cool.
- Trim the ends of the zucchini. With a mandoline or other manual vegetable slicer, or a vegetable peeler, shave the zucchini thinly lengthwise. Discard the first and last slices of each squash, which are mostly skin. Put the zucchini ribbons in a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and salt to taste. Add the dressing to the shaved zucchini and toss with your hands to coat it evenly. Taste and add more salt if necessary. Let stand for 5 minutes to allow the zucchini to soften.
- Add the arugula to the zucchini. With a cheese plane or vegetable peeler, shave about 3 ounces of cheese, or as much as you like, into the bowl. Add several grinds of black pepper, then toss gently with your hands. Transfer the salad to a serving platter, leaving any watery juices behind. Top with the toasted almonds. Serve immediately.
These Relish Tools Are Perfect For Helping To Make This Recipe
Cuispro Hand-Held Mandoline: The Cuisipro Handheld Mandolin makes perfect julienne vegetables, shoestring or waffle cut french fries, and perfectly sliced potato chips in no time at all. Although compact, the Cuisipro Mandolin has all of the features of a full size mandolin. Use the thickness adjustment on the side along with the 3 included blades for endless slicing possibilities. $39.95
Chef’N Juicester Jr. 2-in-1 Citrus Juicer: Meet the Chef’n Juicester Jr., the smallest, most convenient juicer from Chef’n yet. Two reamers and clearly marked measurements make this mini juicer perfect for adding freshness to any recipe or drink. Good cooking or good drinks, better make it two!
Makes 4 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.