Summer Gazpacho with Basil Oil
This is the perfect starter soup for a newlywed. No cooking involved and its made with a blender. This chilled soup comes together quickly and makes a lovely light supper on a hot summer evening. Use the best-quality ingredients you can find, including vine-ripened heirloom tomatoes. The soup needs to be refrigerated for at least 1 hour before serving to allow the flavors to develop, so plan accordingly.
- 1 small onion, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and cored
- 6 small tomatoes, deseeded
- 1 small carrot, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled, 1/2 cut into small dice, 1/2 cut into chunks
- 4 basil leaves
- 3 tbsp sherry vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup olive oil
- Add all vegetables and basil leaves to the blender and puree until smooth.
- Add vinegar and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Taste and adjust the sherry, salt & pepper to your taste. Add some cold water if you want a thinner consistency.
- Spoon into small glasses and top with the finely diced cucumber. Drizzle with the basil olive oil.
- Basil Oil: Place basil in a blender with the olive oil. Puree until smooth. Pour mixture into a large saucepan or skillet and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat for about 3 minutes. Strain through a fine-mesh strainer into a sterilized airtight jar or bottle. Store in a cool, dark place for up to 1 week.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.