Stratford’s Sweet Chili
My childhood friend Joy Stratford has been a vegetarian for over 40 years. She is one of the most creative cooks I know and this is one of her favourite recipes she created from ingredients in her kitchen.
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, drained and rinsed OR 2 cups soaked, cooked and drained chickpeas
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) red kidney beans, drained and rinsed OR 2 cups soaked, cooked and drained beans
- 1 can (28 oz/796 mL) tomatoes with herbs and spices, chopped
- 1 can (10 oz/284 mL) corn kernals, drained
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup liquid honey
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- 1 EACH green, yellow and red bell pepper, diced
- Sour cream
- Cheddar cheese, grated
- In a slow cooker, combine chickpeas, kidney beans, tomatoes, corn, carrots, garlic and red onion. In a bowl, combine ketchup, honey, chili powder and cayenne; mix well and pour into slow cooker. Stir mixture to combine.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours, until hot and bubbling. Add peppers and cook on HIGH for an additional 20 to 25 minutes. Serve in bowls with a dollop of sour cream and grated Cheddar cheese.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.