Spice-Crusted Beef Tenderloin with Creamy Mustard Sauce
This simple roast cooks in 40 to 50 minutes and leaves you plenty of time to make a salad, set the table or just relax and enjoy the appetizing aromas filling your kitchen.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 ½ tsp ground fennel seeds
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ½ to 3 lb beef tenderloin roast, excess fat trimmed
- ½ cup crème fraîche*
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp fresh lemon juice
- Position rack in centre of oven and heat to 375°
- In a bowl, combine oil, rosemary, fennel seed, salt and pepper; stir to make a paste. Pat beef dry with paper towel and rub paste over surface of meat. (This can be done up to 4 hours in advance.)
- Place roast on rack in shallow roasting pan. Roast until thermometer inserted in centre of meat reads 120°F (rare), 125° – 130°F (medium-rare) or 135°F for medium, about 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile in a small bowl, whisk together crème fraîche, mustard and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt. Carve meat into 1/3 to ½ -inch thick slices. Serve with mustard sauce. (Also excellent cold, spread on leftover roast beef sandwiches.)
*Crème Fraîche is a soured cream available in the refrigerated dairy case. If you can’t find it, you can substitute a full-fat sour cream (14 – 30% M.F.)
Makes 6 to 8 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.