Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict with Simple Hollandaise Sauce
Here is a restaurant trick to make poached eggs in advance. Simply poach your eggs just until the whites are barely set and place directly into an ice bath to stop the cooking process. When you're ready to use the eggs, warm them though in a simmering pot of water for about a minute and they’re ready to serve. Eggs can be poached and chilled up to 2 days before serving.
For the benedict:
- 8 large eggs
- 1 tbsp distilled white vinegar
- 4 English muffins, split
- 16 slices smoked salmon
- 2 tbsp minced chives
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp water
- Juice from 1/2 lemon
- 1 stick butter, cut into 1 tablespoon-size pieces
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- For the Benedict: Fill a medium bowl halfway with warm water. Fill a 4-quart saucepan halfway with water, stir in white vinegar and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Break each egg into a small dish. Slide one egg into saucepan and immediately push the white around the yolk with a slotted spoon to form an oval shape. Poach egg for 2 minutes for runny yolks, or 3 to 4 minutes for firm yolks. Immediately transfer poached egg to bowl with warm water. Repeat with remaining eggs. (Multiple eggs can be poached at the same time, however for more perfect eggs, poaching 1 to 2 eggs at a time is recommended.)
- To serve, lift eggs from the warm water with a slotted spoon, one egg at a time and dab the back of the spoon onto a double layer of paper towels to drain off the excess water, trim any rough edges, if desired.
- To prepare Hollandaise Sauce: Place the yolks, water, lemon juice and butter in a slope-sided pan. Place over medium-low heat and whisk until the butter melts. Continue to whisk until the sauce becomes thick and is steaming, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and whisk in the cayenne pepper, salt and pepper to taste. Keep warm.
- To assemble Benedict: Split the English muffins and divide between 4 plates, top each English muffin with 2 slices smoked salmon and then a poached egg, spoon hollandaise over each egg and garnish with minced chives. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.