Slow Cooker Chicken Stew with Rosemary Dumplings
This is the ultimate comfort food dish - perfect for the entire family to enjoy while gathered around the kitchen table. The dumplings can be made when you get home from work. For ease, I have all the dry ingredients measured and in a bowl. I do the same for the milk and egg. Then I quickly mix them together, top the stew, then sit down with a glass of wine while I wait for the dish to finish.
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 lbs bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced, 1-inch thick
- 2 stalks celery, sliced ½ -inch thick
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cups chicken stock/broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp dried rosemary
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup milk
- 1 egg
- Stew: In a bowl or plastic bag, combine flour, salt and pepper. In batches, add chicken pieces to flour mixture and toss to coat. Transfer to a plate. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and cook for 5 to 6 minutes or until browned on all sides. Set aside.
- Place carrots, celery and onions in slow cooker and sprinkle with rosemary. Set chicken pieces over vegetables. Add stock to slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours or on HIGH for 4 to 6 hours until vegetables are tender and stew is bubbling. Add peas and stir gently to combine.
- Dumplings: In a bowl sift together flour, baking powder, rosemary and salt. In a measuring cup, combine milk and egg; mix well and add to flour mixture. Stir with a fork to make a lumpy dough (do not overmix – lumps are fine.) Drop by spoon over the chicken pieces. Cover and cook on HIGH for 25 to 30 minutes longer or until tester inserted in centre of dumplings comes out clean.
Cook’s Note: You can easily replace the made-from-scratch dumplings with an equal amount of Bisquick (omitting the baking powder and salt.) Add 1/2 tsp of dried rosemary to the Bisquick mix and follow the recipe as per the above instructions.
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.