Sautéed Chicken Breasts with Springtime Rhubarb Sauce
Don't think of rhubarb as just a dessert option. This simple and quick entree is the perfect way to use up extra rhubarb from the garden.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 3 cups chopped fresh rhubarb
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsps Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsps cornstarch
- Season chicken on both sides with salt and pepper. In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning once, 4 to 5 minutes per side or until golden brown on each side. Remove to a plate and keep warm.
- Add onion and celery to skillet. Reduce heat to medium and cook 3 minutes until translucent. Stir in rhubarb, sugar, lemon juice and Dijon mustard. Bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up any browned bits on the bottom of the pan.
- Return chicken and any accumulated juices to pan. Spoon some of the sauce over top. Cover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until no longer pink inside.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 2 tbsp cold water; stir into sauce and cook stirring until thickened. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.