Rustic Plum Gallette
Although pie making is a time-honoured skill in Canada, pastry makers here happily learn new tricks from other countries such as this free form no-plate pie from France. It’s novel, easy to assemble and absolutely impressive!
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup cold butter, cubed
- ¾ cup ice water
- 7 cups quartered plums (about 8 whole)
- ¾ cups granulated sugar
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp finely ground orange zest
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup crushed gingersnaps or vanilla wafers
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp water
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp apple jelly
- Preheat oven to 425° F.
- Dough: In a bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and salt. Using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until in large crumbs. Add water all at once; mix with fork just until dough comes together. With hands, shape into disc. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes or until chilled.
- Filling: In a bowl, toss together plums, sugar, flour, orange zest and cinnamon. Set aside.
- On floured parchment paper and using floured rolling pin, roll out pastry into a 17-inch circle, leaving edge ragged. Transfer paper and pastry to rimless baking sheet or pizza pan. Sprinkle with crushed cookies, leaving 4-inch border uncovered. Spoon filling over cookies. Fold up pastry border over filling, making evenly spaced pleats or rustic folds.
- Topping: Beat egg yolk with water. Brush over pastry. Sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in bottom third of preheated oven for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°F and bake for 50 to 60 minutes longer or until bubbly and crust is golden. Let cool on rack for 30 minutes. Brush filling with apple jelly.
Makes 8 to 10 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.