Roasted Corn and Heirloom Tomato Salad
Roasting the corn in the husks is a must for this recipe. It gives the corn a nice steamed but smoky flavour. Depending on how sweet the corn is, you may not need to add any honey, but taste salad first to decide.
- 6-8 ears corn
- 2 cups heirloom or cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1 jalapeño pepper, thinly sliced or minced
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced or minced
- 1/4 cup sherry, champagne or red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp honey, optional
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher or sea salt to taste
- Freshly cracked black pepper to taste
- Fresh basil for garnish
- Prepare corn: Peel husks down and remove silks. replace only one layer of husk and discard the rest. Soak corn in water until ready to grill.
- Preheat a grill over high heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk shallot, vinegar, honey, olive oil, salt and pepper; set aside.
- Place the corn (still in husk) on hot grill for about 8-10 minutes on each side or until starting to char on the inside.
- Once corn has cooled enough to handle, cut kernels off the cob and add to serving bowl along with the tomatoes and jalapeño. Drizzle with desired amount of dressing, toss gently to combine and garnish with fresh basil.
Recipe is developed by Sandra Valvassori, one of our Relish team members. For more of Sandra’s recipes, check out her blog at sandravalvassori.com
Makes 6 to 8 as a side salad
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.