Rhubarb Spice Snacking Cake
This simple vintage-style dessert is reminiscent of the type of cake our mother's made back in the 60's and 70's. Made in a single pan, it's perfect for packing up and taking to the cottage. Change up the fruit depending on what's in season - rhubarb in spring, raspberries, peaches or blueberries in summer.
- 1¼ lbs rhubarb, trimmed into ½ inch lengths, about 3 cups, chopped
- 1-1/3 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced (about 1/4 cup juice & 1 tsp zest)
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- Pinch salt
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 4 tbsp butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350° Grease and flour a 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Crumble Topping: Combine flour, brown sugar, salt and cinnamon together in a bowl. Add melted butter and stir with a fork until a crumbly mixture forms; set aside.
- In a separate bowl, combine rhubarb, lemon juice and 2/3 cup sugar; set aside.
- In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt and ground ginger.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer beat butter, remaining 2/3 cup sugar and lemon zest until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add flour mixture 1/3 at a time alternating with the sour cream, mixing between each addition until batter is just combined.
- Dollop batter over prepared pan, then use a spatula to spread the batter into an even, thin layer. Spread rhubarb mixture into an even layer over the cake batter. Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture over rhubarb.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes until golden on top. Cake is done when tester inserted into centre of the cake comes out clean. Cool completely on rack and cut into serving pieces.
Makes 12 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.