Rhubarb Sour Cream Pie
This Canadian Living classic pie features a custard-like filling and crisp crumbly topping. It is a favourite in our house (plus the neighbourhood) during rhubarb season.
1 9-inch unbaked pie crust, perferably deep dish (homemade or store-bought) Filling:
- 4 cups chopped rhubarb
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Topping: In a small bowl, mix together flour and sugar. Pour in melted butter and mix with a fork until crumbly. Set aside.
- Prepare pastry for single crust pie. Place in a 9-inch pie plate. Arrange rhubarb evenly over pie shell.
- In a bowl, whisk together egg, sugar, sour cream and flour until smooth. Pour over fruit in pie plate.
- Sprinkle topping mixture over fruit filling.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 15 minutes. (You may want to cover crust with foil to prevent over-baking.) Reduce heat to 350 F and bake until edge is puffed, filling is slightly jiggly and topping is golden about 40 minutes. Cover loosely with foil if topping begins to brown too much. Let cool completely on a rack before slicing.
Makes 8 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.