Red Wine and Horseradish Braised Short Ribs
This is an all-star winter recipe. Simple and tasty, its best serve over hot mashed potatoes and some sauteed greens on the side, like green beans.
- Fresh thyme and rosemary sprigs
- 4 lbs beef short ribs
- Salt and pepper
- All purpose flour
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 3 tbsp prepared horseradish
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp cold butter
- Preheat oven to 350F. Wrap thyme and rosemary with butchers twine. Set aside.
- Season short ribs on both sides with salt and pepper. Dredge in flour, shaking off any excess.
- Heat oven proof heavy-bottom pan to medium-high (cast iron Dutch oven or braising pan is ideal). Add oil when hot and sear ribs on both sides until golden brown. Do this step in batches as you don’t overcrowd the pan.) Remove and set aside.
- Add onions, celery and carrots; cook until lightly browned, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook one minute longer. Pour in red wine, and using a wooden spoon, scrape up all the browned bits that have formed on the bottom of the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and reduce the mixture by half its original volume.
- Return the ribs to the pan, add in beef stock, horseradish, bay leaf and herb bundle. Increase heat to high, bringing mixture to a boil, then reduce heat, cover with a lid and place pan in preheated oven. Bake 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is very tender and falling off the bones.
- Remove the ribs from the pot, cover with foil and set aside. Discard bay leaf and herb bundle. Using a blender or immersion hand blender, puree vegetable mixture with braising liquid.
- Strain sauce through a fine colander and return to pot. Skim off any sauce that rises to the top. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Heat over medium-high heat and stir in cold butter. Serve ribs over hot mashed potatoes and spoon gravy over ribs. Enjoy!
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.