Red Curry Braised Lamb Shanks with Jasmine Rice
We can't thank Patrick Mathieu enough for sharing this recipe with us...its a Thai spin on Osso Bucco....perfect for this January weather...
- 8 soup cut lamb shanks
- 1/2 cup Thai red curry paste
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 can (400 mL) coconut milk
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 red sweet pepper, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 8 ozes Shiitake mushrooms, stems removed and sliced
- 100 g green beans or long beans, sliced
- 1 can (400 g) baby corn spears, drained
- 2 tbsps fish sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 tbsps chopped shallots
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 cups jasmine rice, rinsed well
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 275C. Brush beef shanks with a little oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over a moderately-high heat. Brown the beef shanks well on all sides. Remove and place them aside.
- Reduce heat and add a little extra oil, add the curry paste, cook stirring for 1 minute. Add the stock and coconut milk. Stir until the mixture boils. Return the beef shanks to the Dutch oven. Add the sweet potato, mushrooms and red pepper. Cover the dish tightly with its lid and place in the oven.
- Cook for 2-2 1/2 hours or until the beef shanks are very tender. Add the vegetables, fish sauce and sugar in the last 30 minutes of cooking. Add a little stock if needed. Serve over jasmine rice (recipe to follow). Enjoy!!
- In a large saucepan over a medium-low heat, warm the oil. Add shallots and sauté for 3 to 5 minutes. Mix in bay leaf, and jasmine rice. Stir to coat the rice.
- Pour liquids into the saucepan and add the salt. Increase the heat to medium and let the rice come to a quick simmer. Reduce heat to low and let rice simmer lightly and sit uncovered until all of the liquid is absorbed about 40 minutes. Cover the rice and remove from heat. Enjoy!
Makes 6-8 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.