Philly Beef Wraps
These succulent shreds of beef are so good in the wraps you might not have any leftovers. If you do, turn them into a second meal and serve with mashed potatoes and a green salad or vegetable.
- 3 to 4 lb (1.5-2 kg) sirloin tip roast
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 8 large flour tortillas, warmed
- 8 slices Provolone cheese
- Pickled hot pepper slices
- Season roast all over with salt and pepper. In a large skillet or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add roast and cook, turning meat until browned on all sides. Transfer meat to a slow cooker.
- Add stock to slow cooker along with red wine and onions. (Make sure meat is submerged under the liquid or you will have to turn once or twice during the cooking.) Cover and cook on LOW for 10 to 12 hours or on HIGH for 6 to 8 hours, until meat is very tender.
- Remove meat from the juice and let stand for 10 minutes. Using a fork, pull apart roast, following the natural grain of the meat (it should fall apart very easily.) Remove onions from liquid with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- To assemble wraps, spoon shredded beef into the centre of each warm flour tortilla. Top with cooked onions, one cheese slice and a few hot pepper slices. Serve with warm cooking juices for dipping.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.