Tired of tomato salsa? Try something new! Combining the mellow flavour of peaches with hot, spicy ingredients yields a unique, colourful condiment. Serve it with nachos or grilled entrées.
- 6 cups prepared peaches*, about 12 medium or 3 lbs (see Step 2 of Preparation Instructions)
- 1 1/4 cups chopped red onion
- 4jalapeño peppers, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup loosely packed finely chopped cilantro or coriander
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 tbsp liquid honey
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Fill boiling water canner with water. Place 8 clean half-pint (250 mL) mason jars in canner over high heat.
- *Blanch, peel, pit and chop peaches. Measure 6 cups.
- Place Snap Lids in boiling water; boil 5 minutes to soften sealing compound.
- Combine peaches, onion, peppers, cilantro, vinegar, honey, garlic, cumin and cayenne pepper in a large stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly to prevent scorching. Boil gently, stirring frequently, 5 minutes.
- Ladle salsa into a hot jar to within 1/4 inch of tip rim (head space). Remove air bubbles by sliding a rubber spatula between glass and food; readjust head space to 1/4 inch. Wipe jar rim, removing any stickiness. Centre Snap Lid on jar; apply screw band just until fingertip tight. Place jar in canner. Repeat for remaining salsa.
- Cover canner; return water to a boil; process 10 minutes. Remove jars. Let stand to cool for 24 hours. Check jar seals. Remove screw bands; store separately. Wipe jars, label and store in cool, dark place.
Tip: Wear rubber gloves when handling hot peppers.
Note: For home canning, use only mason jars. They are specially manufactured for this purpose. Mason jars are constructed of heavier weight glass than commercial food jars. Consequently they are able to withstand high processing temperatures in boiling water or pressure canners. Mason jars can be used several times. However always check jars before starting a home canning project. Discard any jars which are cracked or show imperfections or nicks in the rim.
7 to 8 half pint (250 mL) jars
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.