Pan-Seared Steaks with Red Wine Sauce
Using a cast iron pan is the ideal cooking vessel, but a good stainless steel fry pan works well too. It's going to smoke up the kitchen, so open the doors and turn on the fan It's worth every bite!
- 2 beef strip loin or rib steaks (8 to10-oz each), at room temperature
- Kosher or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp grapeseed oil
- 2 tbsp chopped shallots
- 3 - 4 tbsp cold unsalted butter
- ½ cup dry red wine
- 1 cup chicken or beef stock
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Smoked Maldon salt flakes*
Step 1 – Cooking The Steaks
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper and let stand at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat a heavy fry pan over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add the oil. As soon as the oil just starts to smoke, add the steaks. Cook about 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare, 5 to 6 minutes for medium and 7 to 8 for well done. Transfer the steaks to a platter, tent with vented foil and allow to rest while you make the sauce.
Step 2 – Making the Pan Sauce
- Melt the 1 tbsp butter over medium-low heat. Add the shallots and cook until soft and golden, about 3 minutes. Add the red wine, making sure to scrape up any bits from the bottom of the pan. Let the liquid reduce until you reach a syrupy consistency.
- Add the chicken stock and any juices from the resting steaks and reduce again until slightly thickened.
- To finish the sauce, turn off the heat and swirl in the cold butter, a bit at a time. The butter not only helps to thicken the sauce, it also adds richness and shine.
Step 3 – Seasoning The Steak
- Before serving the steak, sprinkle with a few flakes of Maldon sea salt. (*available at Relish Cooking Studio)
Makes 2 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.