Pan-Seared Chicken with Rhubarb Sauce
Don't think that rhubarb in your backyard is just for pies. The sweet and sour flavour of this rhubarb sauce is wonderful with chicken and can be prepared in less than 30 minutes. Winner all around!
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3 cups chopped rhubarb
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- In a large skillet, melt butter with oil over medium-high heat. When butter starts to sizzle, add chicken and cook 3 to 4 minutes. Do not move chicken – allow it to brown. Turn and cook on the second side until browned, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove to a plate to keep warm.
- Add onion and thyme to skillet; reduce heat to medium and cook for 3 minutes. Stir in rhubarb, sugar, lemon juice and mustard; bring to a boil, stirring to scrape up any browned bits in the bottom of the pan.
- Return the chicken and any accumulated juices. Spoon sauce over top, cover and simmer 10 to 15 minutes, or until no longer pink inside.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 2 tbsp cold water; stir into sauce and cook, stirring until thickened.
Makes 4 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.