Our Best Relish Burger
When it comes to picking a ground beef, there are lots of options. Anything from ground chuck to sirloin can be used, but we recommend a mix. Ideally you want a fat content of 15 - 20% in your ground beef. That will keep the burgers juicy.
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 lb fresh Italian sausage, mild or hot, casings removed
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 good quality hamburger buns
- Toppings: cheese, shredded lettuce, sliced tomatoes, crisp bacon, avocado, sautéed mushrooms, mayonnaise, ketchup
- Preheat grill to 450°F. If cooking with charcoal, arrange coals to create a high heat and low heat area. Brush grills with a little vegetable oil to create a non-stick surface.
- In a large bowl, gently mix together beef and sausage (don’t overwork the meat). Shape into 8 patties, 1-inch thick then press thumb indent into centre of meat. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Let burgers rest at room temperature for about 20 minutes while grill is warming up.
- Place burgers indent-side down onto hot grill and cook 2 minutes on the first side. Flip and place on lower heat area, cook 3 to 4 minutes for medium and 5 to 6 minutes for well-done burgers on second side.
- Add cheese during the last minute of cooking and toast buns over high heat for one minute.
- Place burgers on toasted buns; pile on the toppings and serve.
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.