Mushroom Lentil Pasta Sauce with Zucchini #Zoodles
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups sliced cremini mushrooms, (about 8 oz)
- ½ cup packed fresh basil, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz/798 mL) whole tomatoes, with their juice
- 6-8 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ - 1 tsp sea salt
- 1½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes or cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup cooked brown lentils (canned is fine)
- 2-3 zucchini squash, spiralized
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and stir to combine. Saute for 5 to 6 minutes until the onion is translucent. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the mushrooms and increase heat to medium-high. Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until much of the liquid is released by the mushroom and has cooked off.
- Add the basil, tomatoes with their juice, tomato paste, salt, oregano and thyme. Stir to combine. With a wooden spoon, break the tomatoes into chunks, bigger or smaller depending on how chunky the tomatoes are. Add red pepper flakes and lentils and stir to combine.
- Reduce heat to medium. Simmer the sauce, stirring every so often for 15 to 20 minutes. Serve over zucchini noodles and enjoy.
Serves 4 -6
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.