Moroccan Lemon Chicken Stew
Treat yourself to this warm, comforting dish with bright spring flavours. It is ideally made the day before and quickly reheated just before serving.
- 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 tsp EACH turmeric, ground cumin and coriander
- ½ tsp dried chili flakes
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups low sodium chicken stock
- 2 lemons, zested and juiced
- 1 can (19 oz/540 mL) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup green olives, manzanilla or picholine preferred
- ½ cup fresh mint, chopped
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 2 cups couscous
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 3 tbsp butter
- ½ tsp saffron threads
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Chicken Stew: Season chicken thighs all over with salt and freshly ground black pepper. In a large heavy bottomed skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until browned on all sides.
- Reduce heat to medium and add onions and garlic; cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add turmeric, cumin, coriander, chili flakes, cinnamon sticks and bay leaves; sauté, stirring constantly for about 1 minute or until spices are fragrant.
- Add chicken stock, lemon zest, lemon juice and chicken; cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid, add chickpeas and olives and stir to combine. Simmer uncovered, stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes or until sauce has reduced somewhat and thickened slightly. Stir in fresh mint.
- Saffron Couscous: In a saucepan, combine chicken broth, butter and saffron; heat over medium-high until butter has melted and the stock is hot. Stir in the couscous and mix well; remove the pan from the heat Cover and for 10 minutes or until liquid has been absorbed. Drizzle with olive oil before serving.
- To serve, spoon couscous onto plate. Spoon chicken stew over couscous. Garnish with sprigs of fresh mint and lemon wedges.
These Items Are Perfect For This Recipe:
Makes 6 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.