Morley’s Oven Braised Ribs
We developed this recipe after listening to one of our favourite Vinyl Cafe stories from CBC broadcaster Stuart MacLean. His fictional character Morley overcooks the ribs in her favourite flame-coloured, Le Creuset "dutch" oven pot. In our recipe, the ribs are ideally sprinkled with a dry rub 24 hours before cooking, but up to 2 hours is acceptable. That means you need to plan ahead, but they are worth the effort.
- 3 lbs baby back ribs, about 2 full racks
- ¼ cup Ultimate’Que* dry spice rub
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup water
- Juice of 2 freshly squeezed limes
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp instant coffee granules or cayenne pepper
Rinse ribs and pat dry with a paper towel. Cut ribs into two portions and sprinkle spice rub mixture over both sides of ribs. Place in oven-proof dish and cover. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or up to 24.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and adjust oven rack to middle position.
- Braising Sauce: In a bowl, combine sugar, orange juice, water and lime juice. Pour into bottom of oven-proof dish and recover with lid. Bake in preheated over for 1 hour. Reduce heat to 250°F and cook 2 hours longer.
- Glaze: Remove baking dish from oven and drain all juices into a small saucepan. Add honey, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce and coffee granules or cayenne. Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer over medium-low until sauce thickens and is of spoon-coating consistency, about 20 minutes.
- Preheat broiler to high. Brush ribs with glaze. Place ribs about 6-inches from broiler and broil until ribs begin to look glossy, about 1 minute. Flip ribs over and cover with more glaze. Broil about 1 minute longer or until ribs are deep mahogany in colour.
- Remove from oven and brush with glaze one more time. Let rest for 10 minutes. Serve immediately passing more glazing sauce if desired.
These Items Are Perfect For This Recipe:
Makes 6 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.