Mini Walnut Buttertarts In Phyllo
Canadian cookbook author Rose Murray developed her recipe for these buttertarts in her “Taste Of Canada – A Culinary Journey” cookbook. They are the perfect combination of runny, flaky and completely decadent. The flaky comes from using phyllo pastry instead of traditional pie pastry. As for the chocolate chips, well you've already got lots of sugar in the recipe so why not go for broke!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 5 sheets phyllo pastry
- 1 large egg, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tsp cider vinegar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/3 cup walnut halves
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips, optional
- Filling: In medium-sized bowl whisk together the egg, brown sugar, corn syrup, butter, cider vinegar and vanilla; set aside.
- Spread walnuts on heatproof plate; roast in 350°F oven or toaster oven until fragrant and slightly darkened, about 6 minutes. Let cool; chop coarsely.
- Phyllo Cups: Melt butter over low heat. Let cool until clear fat rises to the top. Skim off any foam; spoon the clear fat into a separate bowl, leaving the milky residue for another use such as liquid for muffins.
- Keeping unused phyllo layers covered with a barely damp tea towel, arrange 1 sheet of phyllo on work surface. Brush lightly but thoroughly with butter. Cover with second sheet; brush with butter. Repeat layers, finishing with brushing the fifth layer with butter. Cut the phyllo into 24 pieces, as close to 3-inch squares as possible. Gently but firmly, ease each square, buttery side up, into the mini tart/muffin cups, pressing the pastry along the bottom and up the side. Divide the walnut and chocolate chips among the phyllo cups. Using a spoon, fill the cups no more than half full.
- Bake in lower third of preheated 375°F oven until pastry is crisp and golden, about 12 minutes. Let tarts cool in pan on rack. Remove tarts from cups, easing up any filling melted on the surface of the pan to include with the filling. (Make-ahead: Store in single layer in shallow airtight containers for up to 4 days.) .
Makes 24 mini or 12 regular muffin size
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.