Maple Cranberry Yogurt
This one of our favourite recipes from Dana Shortt. She demonstrated it in a cooking class called Brunch Bites, where she shared all her favourite make-ahead ideas for hosting a successful brunch party. Make sure you use plain Balkan-style yogurt like the Astro brand and not a "stirred" style, otherwise it won't drain properly and thicken. You will be amazed at how much water or whey is drained from the yogurt and leaving to drain for a few days produces a fantastic low fat cream cheese-like product which you can spread on bagels or make a cheesecake with.
- 1 quart plain low fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp honey
- 2-3 tbsp pure maple syrup
- Grated zest of one orange
- 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- Additional cranberries, pecans, and/or orange zest, if desired
- Chopped fresh seasonal fruit
- Using a yogurt-cheese maker, pour the yogurt into the liner and cover with lid. Alternately, line a sieve with cheesecloth or good-quality paper towels and suspend it over a bowl. Pour the yogurt into the sieve and allow it to drain, refrigerated, for three hours or overnight (note: overnight is definitely best).
- Place the thickened yogurt into a medium bowl and add the cranberries, pecans, vanilla, honey, maple syrup and orange zest to taste. Thin with orange juice until it is a desirable consistency (note: I prefer less orange juice so that it remains thick).
- Garnish with additional orange zest, pecans or cranberries, if desired. Serve with fresh fruit.
6 to 8
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.