Linguine with Vegetables and Herbs
We like to think of this pasta as a hot vegetable salad. You would find these vegetables in a mature summer garden. In spring, substitute equal amounts of spring vegetables such as asparagus, carrots, fava beans, fennel, cabbage and zucchini.
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- ½ red pepper, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, leaves and stems chopped
- 1 tbsp EACH fresh chopped parsley, basil, sage and oregano leaves
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb dried linguine
- ¾ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup pasta water *
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Add about 1 tbsp salt and penne to boiling water. Cook uncovered over high heat until pasta is tender but firm. Scoop out 1-cup pasta water and set aside. Drain pasta.
- In a large pan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic and celery and cook for 2 to 3 minutes until tender and onions are translucent. Add red pepper, tomato and Swiss chard plus reserved pasta water. Cook for about 10 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add drained pasta and herbs. Using a wooden spoon, toss to coat pasta evenly with vegetable sauce. Add herb and half the cheese and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl and add remaining cheese. Serve immediately.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.