Homestyle Zucchini Relish
Where did we come up with the name "Relish Cooking Studio?" Well the answer is simple...not only is it a wonderful food condiment, but to us it is also a statement about how to enjoy food and life - Relish It! This month's recipe reflects our store name and we would be remiss if we didn't publish our favourite one. This recipe was adapted from one Donna-Marie found in Canadian Living magazine. She like to serve it on everything from roast poultry to grilled burgers, but it is also great served with a simple grilled cheese sandwich.
- 4 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup EACH chopped red and green sweet peppers
- 1 tbsp pickling salt
- 1 1/3 cups cold water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tbsps all purpose flour
- 1 tbsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp EACH mustard seeds and celery seeds
- 1 cup white vinegar
1. In a bowl, combine zucchini, onions and red and green peppers; sprinkle with salt. Pour in 1 cup of the water; stir well. Let stand for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Drain and rinse under cold water; drain and press out excess moisture.
2. In a heavy bottomed saucepan, combine sugar, flour, mustard, turmeric, mustard seeds, celery seeds, vinegar and remaining water; bring to a boil. Add drained vegetables and return to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally for 20 to 25 minutes or until thickened but vegetables are still crunchy.
3. fill jars and process to boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
Makes 5 cups
Makes 5 cups
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.