Nothing says "it's the holidays" quite like eggnog. This version is well spiked, so its definitely an "adults-only" version. Serve it before dinner to start the cheer, or after dinner as a liqueur with coffee. Smaller crowd? No problem, cut the recipe in half.
- 12 eggs, separated
- 1 ½ cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups bourbon
- ¾ cup brandy
- 6 cups whole milk
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 2 tsp freshly grated nutmeg*
- In a large bowl and using a mixer, beat the egg yolks together with the sugar for approx 10 minutes (you want the mixture to be firm and the colour of butter).
- Very slowly, add in the bourbon and brandy – just a little at a time.When bourbon and brandy have been added, chill in the refrigerator for up to 6 hours or overnight depending on how long before your party you’re making the eggnog.
- Thirty minutes before your guests arrive, stir the milk into the chilled yolk mixture.Stir in 1½ tsp ground nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, beat the cream with a mixer on high speed until the cream forms stiff peaks.
- In yet another bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture. Gently fold the cream into the egg mixture. After ladling into cups, garnish with the remainder of the ground nutmeg.
Want to learn more about Eggnog – it’s history and how you can make it ahead? CLICK HERE for our story “Time For A Little Eggnog”.
*Available At Relish
Makes 10 - 12 portions
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.