Grilled Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce and Herbed Grilled Potatoes
Step up your grilling game by grilling your potatoes too, and serving a homemade chimichurri sauce alongside.
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2/3 cup olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1½ lbs flank steak, resting at room temperature
- 1½ lbs fingerling potatoes, scrubbed
- 1 cup lightly packed parsley (ideally, flat leaf "Italian" parsley), finely chopped
- 3 to 5 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp EACH black pepper and red pepper chili flakes
- 2 tbsp fresh oregano leaves
- 2 tbsp shallot or onion
- 3/4 cup vegetable or olive oil
- 3 tbsp sherry wine vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Marinade: Combine all marinade ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until smooth. You will use half for steak and half for potatoes.
- Steak: Place flank steak in a large glass baking dish. Pour ½ reserved marinade onto steak and turn to coat completely. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate for 2 – 12 hours. Let steak rest at room temperature for 30 minutes before grilling.
- Potatoes: Place potatoes in a large pot, cover with 2-inches water and season with salt. Bring to a boil then immediately reduce heat to simmer and cook potatoes until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Drain and arrange on a rimmed baking sheet to cool slightly. Once cool, slice potatoes in half lengthwise and combine with the remaining marinade and toss to coat evenly. Season with salt and pepper; set aside at room temperature.
- Chimichurri Sauce:In blender or food processor combine parsley, garlic, salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, oregano, shallots, oil, vinegar and lemon juice. Set aside.
- Preheat grill or grill pan over high heat.Place the steak directly over a hot grill. Grill approximately 3 minutes per side until nice char marks are achieved and a crust is forming. Move steak to a cooler zone on the grill for in-direct grilling for approximately 3 minutes or until meat thermometer reads 130°
- Place meat on platter and tent with tin foil. Allow meat to rest for at least 5 minutes before carving. Place potatoes on grill, cut side down. Cook 3 to 4 minutes until grill marks are achieved, then flip and cook 2 to 3 minutes until hot
- To Serve: Thinly slice meat against the grain and arrange on a warm platter. Arrange potatoes around steak and drizzle with chimichurri sauce. Serve additional sauce on the side.
Makes 4 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.