Mussels With Green Thai Curry Sauce
This recipe is so simple to prepare, you can have it ready in about 15 minutes. Make sure you have lots of bread for soaking up the additional sauce in the bottom of the bowl. A store-bought curry paste works very well, but if you are a scratch cook, make your own homemade version.
- 1 tbsp peanut oil
- 1 cup thinly sliced onion
- 1 cup chopped green onions (about 8 small)
- 1 to 2 tbsp Thai green curry paste (store-bought or homemade...recipe follows)
- 1 can (14-ounce) unsweetened coconut milk
- 1 cup low-salt chicken broth
- 3 tbsp Thai fish sauce (nam pla)*
- 2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1 cup diced plum tomatoes
- 2 lbs raw mussels
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime wedges
- 8 small green chilies, seeded and chopped
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro/coriander, stems and leaves included
- ½ cup chopped shallots
- ¼ cup chopped trimmed lemongrass
- 5 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 piece, about 1-inch long galangal, peeled
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp EACH ground cumin, turmeric and anchovy or shrimp paste
- ½ tsp EACH salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat peanut oil in wok or heavy large skillet, over medium-high heat. Add sliced onion; stir-fry until soft and beginning to brown, about 4 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add green onions and curry paste; stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add coconut milk, chicken broth, fish sauce, and sugar; bring to boil. Add tomatoes and boil 2 minutes.
- Add mussels, cover and cook stirring occasionally, about 7 minutes or until mussels are open. Discard any that do not open.
- Ladle mussels and coconut broth into 4 serving bowls. Garnish with cilantro. Serve, passing lime wedges separately.
To Make Curry Paste: In a blender or food processor, puree all ingredients together until smooth. Extra curry paste can be stored in the freezer in convenient amounts (1 tbsp) for up to 1 month. Makes ¾ cup
Makes 4 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.