French Onion Soup
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 ½ lbs yellow or white onions, peeled and very thinly sliced
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 2 tsp sea salt or kosher salt, plus more if needed
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper, plus more if needed
- 2 tsp all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup white wine or sherry
- 2 litres chicken or beef stock
- 1 to 2 tsp sherry vinegar or balsamic vinegar, plus more if needed
- 6 thick slices hearty white bread or about 19 thick-sliced pieces of baguette,
- well toasted
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, peeled and left whole, for rubbing the toast
- 3 cups emmenthal, comte, or gruyere cheese, grated
- Melt the butter in a large pot of Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onions and sugar and cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until caramelized
- In another pot, heat the stock, simmering to reduce while the onions are cooking
- Add the garlic, salt, and pepper and continue to cook for 5-10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Add the wine or sherry and use a flat utensil to loosen any remaining brown bits from the bottom and sides of the pan, stirring them into the onions. Add the hot stock, bring to a boil, then turn off the heat
- Add the vinegar, tasting it to get the balance right, adding a touch more vinegar, salt, and pepper, if desired.
- Preheat the oven to 400 ༠F. Set six ovenproof bowls on a baking sheet lined with parchment or foil.
- Divide the hot soup among the bowls. Rub both sides of the toasted bread with the garlic. Put the toasts on the soup, then sprinkle the tops with the cheese. Bake the soup on the upper rack of the oven until the cheese is deeply browned, about 20 minutes.
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.