Florida Fish Tacos with Citrus Slaw
The textural differences between the crisp fish, supple corn tortillas and soft, creamy avocado makes this part of the dish's appeal.
- 1 tbsp achiote paste
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1lb grouper, red snapper, mahi-mahi, tilapia or halibut filets
- Citrus Slaw:
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tbsp + ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ small (1/2 lb) red cabbage, shredded
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves
- 8 warm corn tortillas, about 6-inches in diameter
- 1 avocado, cut into ¼-inch slices
- Lime wedges
- Make the slaw: In a large bowl, combine orange juice, vinegar, lime juice and 2 tbsp sour cream. Whisk to combine. Add the cabbage, green onions and 1 tbp cilantro leaves and mix until well combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Cover and let the slaw sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Fish: In a bowl, combine achiote paste, oil and lime juice; mix until smooth and pour over fish. Marinate for 20 minutes but no more than 2 hours.
- Heat a grill or cast iron pan over medium-high heat until almost smoking. (You can brush a little oil on the pan once it’s hot, but make sure the pan is hot first). Carefully place the fish, seasoned side down and cook until the white line on the side of the fish is about 40% up the side indicating its almost halfway cooked through, about 3 minutes. Flip the fish and cook until the sides of the fish are entirely white, about 3 minutes more.
- To serve: Break fish into chunks and nestle into the warm tacos along with avocado slices. Top with slaw and additional sour cream. Enjoy!
Makes 4 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.