Fall Salad with Roasted Pears, Stilton & Marmalade Dressing
This fall inspired salad of golden roasted pears on a bed of salad greens is a perfect accompaniment to a Thanksgiving Dinner. Feel free to substitute the walnuts of pecans or almonds and feta or goats cheese for the Stilton.
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 medium anjou pears (not too ripe)
- 8 cups mixed salad greens
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces, toasted*
- 1/2 cup Stilton or blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp orange marmalade
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Salad: Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar and oil. Cut the pears in half lengthwise and using a melon baller or small spoon, cut out the core.
- Place pears in a shallow roasting pan and brush all sides with the oil/vinegar mixture. Roast, cut-side up for 10 minutes, then turn over and roast for 10 more minutes, cut-side down until tender.
- Cover pears with foil to keep warm while you assemble the salad.
- Dressing: Whisk together vinegar, marmalade, orange juice, Dijon, salt and pepper. Add oil in a steady stream, whisking until incorporated.
- Place salad greens in a large bowl and toss with 1/4 cup of the dressing. Place onto a 8 serving plates and place pear half on top of salad greens. Garnish with toasted walnuts, crumble Stilton and drizzle with remaining dressing.
*To Toast Walnuts: Place in a dry skillet over medium-high heat. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, tossing constantly, until fragrant, making sure nuts don’t burn. Allow nuts to cook before adding to salad.
Makes 8 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.