Christmas Breakfast Strudels
Everyone wants to make their Christmas morning relaxed and easy! This exceptional recipe can be made up to two weeks in advance and just baked while you are enjoying your morning coffee.
- 2 tbsps butter
- 2 tbsps all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1/4 tsp EACH salt and freshly grated black pepper
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 cup diced smoked ham
- 2 tbsps parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tsps chives, finley chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh thyme,
- 8 sheets phyllo pastry, thawed
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour to make a paste. Slowly whisk in milk and cook stirring constantly until thickened. Add cheddar; stir until melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a bowl lightly beat eggs. Heat butter over medium-high heat in non-stick skillet until melted. Stir in eggs, ham, parsley, chives and thyme and scramble until creamy and nicely set. Fold the cheese sauce into the scrambled egg mixture – this will be your filling.
- Brush one sheet of phyllo with butter. Fold it in half lengthwise to create a long rectangle. Brush this with butter. Place a scant 1/3 cup of the scrambled egg/cheese mixture on the top of your sheet. Sprinkle with a tiny about 1 tbsp parmesan. Wrap it up like an egg roll, folding the sides in as you go. Brush the top with butter.
- Place the completed individual strudels on a cookie sheet. Freeze overnight. Place in an airtight container or zipper freezer bag Ziploc bag until Christmas morning.
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Place strudels on a cookie sheet and bake until golden brown and flaky around 45 minutes to an hour depending on your oven. Serve hot.
Makes 4 to 6 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.