CHIRSHI (Tripolitan Pumpkin Spread)
This delicious appetizer is the perfect thing to kick off the new year in a healthy way. It can also be served as a side dish, but served with pita crisps and/or veggies, its both vegan and vegetarian.
- 1½ lbs butternut or buttercup squash
- 1 lb sweet potato(es)
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and grated (or pressed)
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice or to taste
- ½ cup tahini
- 1 tsp harissa*
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika or to taste
- 1 to 2 tsp kosher salt to taste
- 1 cup chopped cilantro
- ½ jalapeno pepper, seeded and veins removed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil (plus more if needed)
- *Available at Relish Cooking Studio
- Cut squash and sweet potato(es) (if large) in half and rub cut surfaces with oil, salt and thyme. Place cut side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roast in a preheated 400F oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until tender. Cool. Remove squash and potato pulp from skin and mash with a potato masher or fork, or puree coarsely in a food processor. You should have about 3 cups.
- Mix in garlic, lemon juice, tahini, harissa, smoked paprika and salt. Season to taste. Spread onto a platter or in a bowl. Drizzle with Z’hug if using or serve as is, sprinkled with chopped cilantro and perhaps a drizzle of thick yogurt.
- Z’hug: In a blender or food processor, combine cilantro, jalapeno pepper, garlic and salt until well blended. With blender running, slowly drizzle in olive oil until it is completely mixed.
Makes 3 cups
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.