Ceasar Salad with Bacon and Croutons
This recipe is from our BACON WORKSHOP.
For the Salad:
- 3/4 pound bacon
- 2 cups, loaf of rustic sourdough or Italian bread, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 Tablespoons bacon fat
- 2 large heads romaine lettuce, washed well and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise (or soy-free vegenaise)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (3 lemons)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups good good quality virgin olive oil (extra virgin will be too strong)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- For the Bacon: line a sheet pan with aluminum foil (if you wish, you can also place parchment paper on top of foil). Place bacon strips on foil, place in oven and turn oven to 400 degrees F. (Pre-heating the oven also works but is not necessary).Once bacon is crispy (this should take about 20-25 minutes) remove to paper towels to drain and carefully drain the fat from the sheet pan into a bowl. Reserve and set aside.
- For the croutons: heat oven to 400 degrees. Place the cubes of bread on a sheet pan and add 2 tablespoons bacon fat, tossing until evenly coated. Bake until the croutons are golden, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
- For the dressing: place mayonnaise, mustard, garlic, lemon juice, salt, and pepper into the bowl of a food processor fitted with a steel blade. Process until smooth. With the food processor running, slowly pour the olive oil through the feed tube (as though you were making mayonnaise), until thick. Add the grated Parmesan cheese and pulse 3 times.
- To serve: place lettuce, croutons and bacon. in a large salad or mixing bowl. Toss the lettuce with enough dressing to moisten well. Serve at room temperature.
- *All these ingredients can be made in advance and assembled before serving.
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.