Caribbean Squash Soup
This recipe comes from of our favourite cookbooks - Whitewater Cooks by Shelley Adams. Made with seasonal butternut squash, this soup will warm you up on these cooler fall evenings.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsps dark rum
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 4 cups spinach leaves, julienned
- 1 cup coconut milk
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Julienned spinach leaves and toasted coconut, if desired
- In a large soup pot heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and jalapeno pepper and cook 3 to 4 minutes until translucent and fragrant. Add garlic, cook 1 minute longer.
- Add stock, squash, rum and allspice; bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until squash is tender (about 25 to 30 minutes.)
- With an immersion blender or in a food processor or blender, puree mixture until smooth. Add spinach leaves and coconut milk. Simmer 5 minutes longer.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add a splash more rum at the end if desired.
- Garnish with julienned spinach leaves and toasted coconut if desired.
Makes 4 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.