Butternut Squash & Apple Soup with Cider Cream
This soup tastes like autumn in a bowl – sweet red apples pair perfectly with mellow butternut squash. This decadently creamy soup features a hint of spice for incredible depth of flavour.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped
- 4 red apples, peeled, cored and chopped
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken broth, low-sodium
- 1 cup whipping cream or whole milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- ½ cup apple cider
- 1 cup whipping cream
- Heat a large, heavy dutch oven or stock pot over a medium heat and add oil. Add onions and cook until tender and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add squash and cook, stirring often, until starting to soften, about 10 minutes. Add apples, cayenne, cinnamon and ginger and cook until lightly brown, about 5 minutes. Add broth (just enough to cover the vegetables) and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until vegetables are very soft, about 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat and purée soup using an immersion or counter-top blender until smooth. Use a wooden spoon to stir the cream or milk into soup. Add lemon juice. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
- Cider Cream: In small saucepan over a medium-high heat bring cider to boil. When it has reduced by half, remove from heat and cool completely. In a bowl, whisk the cream until slightly thickened. Whisk in the apple cider reduction until thoroughly combined.
- Ladle the soup into warmed soup bowls and drizzle the cider cream over the soup. Serve immediately garnished with toasted pumpkin seeds.
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.