Buttermilk Cream Scones
No tea tray would be complete without these delicate, flaky tea scones. Serve with your favourite jam and some clotted cream (available in the refrigerated section of the supermarket).
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp EACH baking soda and salt
- ½ cup cold butter, cubed
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or dust with flour; set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gently rub in butter with cool hands until crumbly. In a separate bowl, whisk buttermilk with egg; pour over flour mixture. Stir with a fork to make a soft ragged dough.
- With lightly floured hands, press dough into ball. On floured surface, knead gently 10 times. Using your hands, form into a ball and flatten it to form a circle measuring 5-inches round x ¾ inch thick. Transfer the flattened disc to a prepared baking sheet. Cut the circle of dough into 8 wedges. Using a metal spatula, move the wedges around the pan to allow about 1-inch of space between each. You can also use a 2-inch biscuit cutter and cut individual biscuits from the dough. Place on baking sheet as directed.
- Bake in centre of 400° F oven until golden, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a rack; let cool. (Make ahead: Up to 1 day or wrap each in plastic wrap and freeze in airtight container for up to 2 weeks.)
Makes 8 large scones
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.