Boozy Bacon & Fig Jam
Serve this jam warm or chilled – either way its REALLY good. You can use it as sandwich spread, in quesadillas, stirred into soups, or my personal favorite……holding an open jar, in front on an open fridge, eating it by the spoonful (no judgments, please). Enjoy!
- 12 fresh black figs
- 4 strips thick-cut bacon
- 2 tbsp finely chopped shallots
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup whiskey or bourbon
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp Sriracha chili sauce
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- In a heavy-bottomed pan with a lid, brown the bacon until almost crisp, about 7 minutes. Remove the bacon and set aside. Drain all but one tablespoon of the bacon fat.
- Add the shallots and sauté until softened over medium heat for about 4 minutes. Add all the remaining ingredients except lemon juice, stir well and bring to a simmer. Once simmering crumble the bacon and add it back to the pot.
- Reduce the heat and partially cover the pot, while continuing to simmer. Stir occasionally until the mixture reduces to a thicker, syrup-like consistency, about 15-20 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice. Pour mixture into a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Serve warm or store in an airtight container, in the refrigerator, until ready to use.
Makes 2 cups
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.