Blueberry Brown Butter Cakes
These individual cakes are an opportune way to enjoy blueberries at their best. Serve with a drizzle of maple syrup and a touch of whipped cream too - so good, I would even be tempted to each them for breakfast.
- 1 cup unsalted butter, browned and cooled
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups fresh wild blueberries
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350° Grease eight 3-inch ramekins or large muffin tins.
- Place butter in a saucepan. Gently melt butter completely without stirring. It will begin to bubble then foam and smell When you see small browned bits (caramelized milk solids) come up from the foam, remove the pan from the heat and pour the butter into a bowl to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooled brown butter and sugar. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until well combined.
- Fold in blueberries, flour, pecans, cardamom and salt (do not overmix).
- Spoon the batter into the prepared ramekins until ¾ full. Bake for 25 minutes in oven or until toothpick comes out clean when tested.
- Run a knife around the ramekins to loosen the cakes. Turn out onto a wire rack and cool.
Makes 8 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.