- 1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup liquid flavouring (see options below)
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup additions (see options below)
- 1/2 tsp spices, if using (see options below)
- Combine flour, baking powder and dry spices (if using). Set aside.
- In a bowl, beat together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beat well after each addition and scraping down sides and bottom of the bowl to ensure all ingredients are well incorporated. Add vanilla and liquid flavouring* and blend until incorporated
- Add dry ingredients and blend until well incorporated. Add fruit/nut additions and stir by hand until well incorporated.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, form into disk and cut in half. Shape into oval and roll into 14-inch log. Place each log on parchment paper-lined baking tray, about 3-inches apart and flatten slightly.
- Bake in 350°F oven for 30 minutes until tops are cracked and logs spring back when pressed. Transfer to a cooling rack and leave until logs are cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes. (Make Ahead: Logs can be prepared up to 24 hours in advance and left to cool. Cut and complete the second bake the following day.) Reduce oven temperature to 300°F.
- Carefully peel the logs from the parchment and transfer to a cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut each log on a sharp angle into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Return the slices to the cookie sheet and arrange them cut side down. It’s OK if they touch because they won’t spread.
- Bake until the biscotti are dried to your taste, 10 minutes (for slightly moist) to 20 minutes (for super-dry and crunchy), turning them over halfway through baking. Transfer the cookie sheet to a rack and let the biscotti cool completely. They will still give slightly when pressed but will harden as they cool.
- When the biscotti are cool, melt the white chocolate in a microwave or in a heatproof bowl set in a skillet of barely simmering water. Dip one end of each biscotti in the chocolate and place on a baking sheet lined with fresh parchment until set, about 30 minutes. Store in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks or freeze for up to 1 month.
Liquid Flavouring Options: Lemon or orange juice, liqueur, water
Addition Options: Toasted nuts, dried fruit, poppy seeds, cocoa powder, white/chocolate chips, candied ginger, coloured sprinkles etc
Spices: Dry ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg
For More “how to” tips, CLICK HERE
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.