Baked Tomatoes with Tuna and White Beans
A hallowed out tomato makes a perfect baking vessel and tuna, white beans and breadcrumbs are the perfect filling combination. The beauty of this dish lies in these basic ingredients.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 large or 8 small ripe tomatoes
- 1 can (5 oz.) tuna, drained
- 1/2 cup low-sodium canned cannellini or white kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp minced red onion
- 1 tbsp capers, drained
- 1 tsp red wine or sherry vinegar
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350° Lightly grease a baking dish with 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Cut a uniform opening in the top of each tomato around the stem and remove the tops. Using a melon baller, gently scoop out the core and seeds of the tomatoes, leaving the side walls intact. Arrange the tomatoes cut side up in the prepared baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine remaining 1 tbsp oil, tuna, beans, onion, capers, vinegar and parsley. Stir to mix, using a fork to break up the tuna. Spoon the filling into the tomatoes, dividing it evenly and mounding it on top. Sprinkle the filling evenly with breadcrumbs. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the breadcrumbs are golden brown.
Makes 4 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.