Asparagus Goat Cheese Tart
You can prepare this tart in a 9-inch square or 9-1/2 inch round French tart pan. This tart is delicious served warm or at room temperature. Even try a little balsamic glaze served over the tip of it. A delicious tossed green salad is the perfect side dish.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed (we like President's Choice brand)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 medium shallots, minced
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb (about 1 bunch) asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk or light cream
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tbsp minced fresh basil, divided
- 1 tsp minced flat leaf parsley
- 3 oz soft goat cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 F and position rack in the bottom third of the oven. Lightly butter and 10-inch French tart pan with a removable bottom. Set aside.
- Lightly dust a clean work surface with flour and gently roll pastry dough into a circle with a 14-inch diameter. Fit dough circle into prepared pan, being careful not to stretch the dough too thin. Bring the dough out the sides of the pan and trim any excess dough. Transfer to the freezer until firm, about 15 minutes.
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat oil over moderate heat. When the oil is shimmering, add shallots and cook until soft, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add asparagus and lemon zest and cook until just starting to soften, about 5 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together sour cream, milk, eggs, 2 tbsp basil, parsley, salt and pepper. Scatter asparagus mixture over the bottom of the prepared tart shell and pour over egg mixture; sprinkle with goat cheese. Transfer to the preheated oven and bake 25 to 30 minutes or until the edges of the crust are golden brown and filling is set. Transfer the tart to a wire rack and allow to cool slightly before removing the tart base.
- To serve, lift shell from the tart base and slice into wedges. Garnish with remaining basil and serve warm or at room temperature.
Makes 8 to 12 servings
Only the finest ingredients will do.
Before making these great dishes, be sure to stop by Relish Retail. We've stocked our store with items we love to use ourselves, including gourmet recipe essentials from around the world. From Spanish saffron to Madagascar vanilla, our pantry staples will help you add flourish to any meal.